Important announcement regarding director identification numbers.
New rules have been introduced with effect from 1 November 2021 with regards to verifying your identity to act as a director in Australia. You need a director identification number (director ID) if you’re a director of a company, registered Australian body, registered foreign company or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation.
What is a Director Identification Number?
The Director Identification Number (Director ID) is a unique identifier that will help prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities with the new registry services of the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS). These numbers are to be kept confidential and should be treated with the same privacy restrictions as tax file numbers.
How do I Apply?
Directors must apply for their director ID themselves because they need to verify their identity.
No one can apply on your behalf.
The fastest way to do this is online using the myGovID app.
Step 1 – Set up myGovID
You will need a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength to apply for your director ID online. If you live outside Australia and can’t get a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, you will need to apply with a paper form and provide certified copies of your identity documents. If you live in Australia and:
- don’t have a myGovID, you can find information on how to download the app at How to set up myGovID
- already have a myGovID, you can apply for your director ID now.
Please note myGovID is different from myGov
- myGovID is an app. You download the myGovID app to your smart device. It lets you prove who you are and log in to a range of government online services, including myGov.
- myGov is an account. Your myGov account lets you link to and access online services provided by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), Centrelink, Medicare and more.
Step 2 – Gather your documents
You will need to have some information the ATO knows about you when you apply for your director ID:
- your tax file number (TFN)
- your residential address as held by the ATO
- information from two documents to verify your identity.
Examples of the documents you can use to verify your identity include:
- bank account details
- an ATO notice of assessment
- super account details
- a dividend statement
- a Centrelink payment summary
- PAYG payment summary.
Step 3 – Complete your application
Once you have a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, and information to verify your identity, you can log in and apply for your director ID. The application process should take less than 5 minutes.
How to apply if you cannot get a myGovID
If you can’t get a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, the best way to apply for a director ID will depend on your situation.
Apply by phone
You can apply by phone if you have:
- an Australian tax file number (TFN)
- the information you need to verify your identity.
When you have the information you need to apply, contact ABRS.
Apply with a paper form
If you can’t apply online or over the phone, you can apply using a downloadable form – Application for a director identification number (NAT75329, PDF, 306KB). This is a slower process and you will also need to provide certified copies of your documents to verify your identity. If you have issues completing the form, you can find help on ABRS Accessibility page.
What are the due dates for obtaining this?
If you are already a registered director then you have 12 months to obtain this, however, we would suggest prioritizing to sort this as soon as possible to ensure adherence to the new rules.
If you are looking to start in this role, you will have 28 days to obtain your Director ID from when the company is established.